Joseph's Vision

"I want to see the Labour Party not only transformed internally but rather taking in its stride the leading role to transform the country’s agenda into a more progressive one. I want to see the Labour Party at the forefront of proposing and advocating the environmental reforms and social changes that are overdue under this conservative rule."


Sunday 30 March 2008

MLP Leadership Contest - Michael Falzon Joins Race

Michael Falzon's decision to join the contest for MLP leadership is no surprise and to be honest I'm pleased he's taken this step. I've got a lot of time for him and think he's going to make a fine MP.

I'm not sure though about how politicians who are already associated with failure are perceived by the public. I'm clear in my mind that you can't blame him for past MLP electoral defeats but he was very obviously close to the centre and I do think that will be a disadvantage.

I also feel that as yet he hasn't been very clear in what his political vision is. We have had more words on the subject of inclusion but I don't think he has articulated very clearly where he wants Malta to head.

Obviously there's a long road ahead and over the next two months as we get a clearer idea of how things are going to evolve we'll be hearing a lot more on what all the candidates think. What is really positive is that the contest is going to be between high quality candidates. This should mean a good debate about how the Labour Party should move forward and the emergence of a leader with the ability to effectively challenge the Nationalists. Lets hope so anyway.

No comments: