Joseph's Vision

"I want to see the Labour Party not only transformed internally but rather taking in its stride the leading role to transform the country’s agenda into a more progressive one. I want to see the Labour Party at the forefront of proposing and advocating the environmental reforms and social changes that are overdue under this conservative rule."


Sunday 6 April 2008

MLP Leadership Contest - Open Debate

I’ve been away for a few days. There’ve been far too many things going on and I simply haven’t had time to post much. Firstly, a quick response to the anonymous post. I’ve got nothing against being critical of George Abela and I think the points made about his behaviour over the past few years are totally fair comment.

But I do feel it’s a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face. If the whole country knows what’s going on, to ignore it just makes you look silly. It reinforces the stereotype that the media in Malta love to give the left – that it is not able to conduct itself maturely.

As far as I’m concerned a newspaper has an obligation to report facts and to show respect to the intelligence of its readers and not treat them like children. If George Abela is not the man to lead Labour – which is obviously what I think – then all his failings will come out in any discussion on the position.

The ample editorial space gives every media the opportunity to discuss the merits, or lack of them, of any candidate. So let’s grow up. Let’s have all the facts reported and let’s give everyone the opportunity to defend their record. In that way, at the end of the race no one can have any complaints and the rest of the media in Malta won’t have so many excuses to portray Labour as a party that is not open to debate.

Anyway, I'll be back later.

No comments: